|Posted on December 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM|
Mombasa’s famous “Tusks” are the symbolic representations of entrance into the heart of the town. These tusks were built to commemorate the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Mombasa town in 1952, as they lay directly on the path from the port to the city. Ivory was considered to be an exquisite commodity during that time, and in essence the tusks were meant to embrace the Queen and the British Empire into Mombasa and within its social structure. Coincidentally the tusks also spell the letter “M” for Mombasa.
Categories: Mombasa Attractions